One evening, before Christmas, my daughter Tyler was off to visit a friend for the evening. It had been raining and storming for a few days and the roads were slick. I told her to drive safely. I decided to go to bed early that evening and was all snug in my bed, drifting off to sleep when the phone rang. It was Tyler. She told me that she was about 2 streets away and that there was a body in the road. She was terrified. She circled back around and was heading back home to pick me up because she didn't want to be alone on a dark street with a body.
I though she must be crazy, but sure enough, there was a body laying in the road, half in and half out of a driveway. My heart was in my throat as we pulled along side. I had several thoughts ripping through my mind. Do I call 911 and then jump out to help? Do I try to rescue him/her? Should we stay in the car and let the police handle everything? If I do get out will someone jump me and try to steal the car? Lucky for me the answer came swiftly. I opened the car door and saw that the body was a "dummy" with a soccer ball head and empty tennis shoes. We both breathed a sigh of relief and then got angry. I kicked the soccer ball/head down the driveway and kicked the "dummy/body" back into the bushes beside the road. We got back in the car, made a u turn and drove home. I got back in bed and tried to calm down.
Tyler decided to continue on to her friends house after dropping me off.
Once again I was snug in my bed, drifting off to sleep when my phone rang again. It was Tyler. She was driving by the same spot and saw the kids who originally put the "dummy/body" in the street and they were putting it back in the street. This time I was prepared! I grabbed a huge flashlight, waking up my husband for the fourth time that night, jumped in our car and yelled for my brother to come with me. We raced to the spot in the street where the "body" lay and screeched to a halt. I jumped out of the passenger side, ran up to the dummy and grabbed the "soccerball" head and threw it in the back seat. Then I grabbed the torso of the body by the belt loops and heaved it in face first. Last to be thrown in were a fairly expensive set of Nike black tennis shoes. I slammed the door shut as we made a "gone in 60 seconds" retreat. Once around the corner, we turned off the car lights and crept slowly back up the street in hopes of catching our little pranksters. No such luck.
With the body stashed in the back porch, once again I went to bed. Not more than 20 minutes later, the dogs began barking and we heard a loud knock at the door. It was two teenage boys asking for their "body" back. I told them to have their mom call me the next day and I would release the body to her. I didn't get a phone call. However, the next afternoon a boy and his dad came to the door. I was a work and no one in our house would let them have the dummy or the expensive shoes until I got to talk to the mom. It's been about two weeks now and to date I have not heard from the mom or the boys.
Tonight, on the way to pick up fast food, there was a red truck stopped on the side of the road where our "body" was found. Sure enough, there was a body in the road with a new softball face and cheaper shoes. We were going to stop but didn't have time. I figured that the guy in the red truck would now have a "story" about the night he found a body in the street.
I can't help but wonder if the new "dummy/body" had shoes my size.... maybe next time I will stop and find out.
No comments:
Post a Comment